Sodium Bicarbonate Alkalinity builder
Sodium Bicarbonate Industrial Grade
AVAILABLE IN 25 kg BAGS
- Size Guide
- Additional information
Sodium bicarbonate is obtained by chemical process called the Solvay Process, or more directly by extraction from the ore. It is mildly alkaline and has a wide range of applications.
Sodium bicarbonate has the chemical formula NaHCO3. It is known under different household names: baking soda, sodium bicarb or bicarb soda, etc. but better known to chemists as sodium bicarbonate, bicarbonate of soda, sodium hydrogen carbonate, and sodium acid carbonate.
Sodium Bicarbonate (or Baking Soda) is used for raising total alkalinity, which is what keeps the pH stable in a pool. Pool stores will commonly call this Alkalinity Up or Alkalinity Increaser.
Sodium Carbonate (or Soda Ash)in contrast, is for raising the pH itself. It is not used for raising the total alkalinity, although it will have a slight effect on it. The reverse is also true when using Sodium Bicarbonate, it will also raise the pH slightly, but that depends on where the pH is to start with.
Total Alkalinity is a measure of the “buffering capacity” of water, or its ability to resist a change in pH.
The ideal Total Alkalinity level for pool or spa water is 80 – 120 ppm. When the Total Alkalinity is too low, the pH level can fluctuate widely and the water can become corrosive. When the Total Alkalinity is too high, the pH will be high and scale will form on pool surfaces and equipment.
|To lower Total Alkalinity, add Acid – The acid reacts with bicarbonates in the water and converts them, reducing the Total Alkalinity. Add 1.6 pounds of Dry Acid (Sodium Bisulfate) per 10,000 gallons of water, or 1.3 quarts of Muriatic Acid, to decrease the Total Alkalinity by 10 ppm. Retest and adjust the pH.|
|To raise Total Alkalinity, add Sodium Bicarbonate – This adds to the total bicarbonates in the water, raising the Total Alkalinity. Add 1.5 lbs. Sodium Bicarbonate per 10,000 gallons of water to increase the Total Alkalinity by 10 ppm.|
Remember, Total Alkalinity and pH level are closely related, so it is important to test pH after adjusting Total Alkalinity. Likewise, a proper Total Alkalinity level is important in maintaining the recommended pH level. It may take several sodium bicarbonate treatments to build the proper Total Alkalinity buffering level to keep the pH in the proper rang.
Sodium Bicarbonate Properties:
- Odourless, white crystalline solid or powder
- Slightly alkaline in solution
- Sparingly soluble in water
- Decomposes to sodium carbonate and carbon dioxide on heating
- Has relatively low toxicity
- The powder dust is not explosive
Applications of Baking Soda
Baking soda is a weak base and therefore not a powerful detergent compared to a strong alkali which breaks down fat. However, it does remove dirt with the properties already alluded to. In order to prevent any alkali from damaging your skin, rubber gloves should be worn.
For the Home:
- Cleaning agent – fridges, garbage disposals, etc.
- Water softener – use in washing machines and for washing dishes
- Deodorizing – shoes, footwear cupboards, carpet refresher
- Fire extinguisher – forms a smothering soapy foam
- Polishing – removes dirt without damaging high hardness materials such as stainless steel or iron
- Mixed with sugar – acts as an effective pesticide for roaches and silverfish
In the Kitchen:
- Baking – used as a leavening agent, the carbon dioxide generated makes the dough rise
- Cooking – quickly softens vegetables such as french beans and broccoli
For Care of the Body:
- Use as a teeth whitener – brush teeth with a paste of bicarb soda and water
- Sodium bicarbonate ear drops
- Stomach reliever – spoonful in cool glass of water
- Eczema reliever – half-cup in hot bath from 15 to 20 minutes
- Also good for the throat, painful gums, insect bites, and warts
- Use in cosmetics and personal care products
|Dimensions||40 × 60 × 26 cm|
|Select pail/bag size|
5 kg, 10 kg, 25 kg