Polymem France is the worlds leading manufacturer of high quality ultrafiltration systems for potable and waste water applications. The ultrafiltration systems are available in all capacities from residential to industrial applications . Any source water can be treated provided that the raw water is adequately pretreated. The Polymem Ultrafiltration units are available with automated backwash and also chemically enhanced backwash options.
Ultrafiltration clarifies and disinfects the water in one step.
Ultrafiltration is an alternative to conventional filtration for water clarification, with a significant improvement in the effectiveness of treatment (reduction of the turbidity to less than 0.2 NTU) which is obtained regardless of the quality of raw water treated and without chemicals addition.
Ultrafiltration often replaces other more conventional treatment techniques and microfiltration as well, as it has the capacity to eliminate not only small particles but also pathogenic flora including microorganisms, viruses, pyrogens and some dissolved organic species.
Ultrafiltration enables the treatment of waters with up to 300 mg/l total suspended solids (TSS) in pressurised filtration mode, and up to 15 g/l in suction mode (membrane bioreactors).
Ultrafiltration for rural and commercial applications
How it works:
UF is a purely physical treatment able to treat any kind of water achieving the same purifying efficiency.
Ultrafiltration is a process where the driving force is the pressure of the liquid to be treated (0.5 to 1.5 bars). Pressurised water enters the module and treated water (called filtrate or permeate) passes through the membrane barrier.
The retained substances are captured on the membrane surface and continuously or periodically removed from the module, depending on the filtration mode (cross flow or dead end), in the concentrate or in the backwash effluent.
The pore size is about one hundredth of a micron, allowing the retention of very small particles, providing a permeate turbidity of the less than 0.1 NTU, but also of micro-organisms and viruses (disinfection), of pyrogens…
The porous structure of membranes presents a very thin layer called “skin” on the filtration surface, with the smallest pores, while the rest of the thickness (more than 100 μ) has pore diameters of about a micron. The “skin” ensures the retention capacity while the internal structure of the fiber allows an easy passage of the filtrate.
Ultrafiltration is thus a filtration “on the membrane surface”, unlike microfiltration which is a “depth filtration” (MF pore size is the same over the entire thickness of the fiber).
Ultrafiltration (UF) membranes are used for the rejection of suspended solids (turbidity), algae, Cryptosporidium, Giardia, coliform, bacteria and viruses.
The reduction of the turbidity to less than 0.2 NTU (generally less than 0.1 NTU) is assured regardless of the quality of the water to be treated
Applications Ultra filtration
From all kind of fresh water (groundwater, river water, lake water, karst water…), Polymem ultrafiltration, as the primary treatment or complemented in an existing water treatment process allows production of an excellent and constant water quality regardless of the quality of the raw water.
– Turbidity <0.2 NTU 100% of the time
– Elimination of 99.9999% of microorganisms
– Removal of 99.99% of viruses
– Production and quality guaranteed
– Modules NSF and ACS approved
Modules to be used : ULTRAMEM and GIGAMEM® ranges
Ultrafiltration effective removal of bacteria , viruses, cysts
- No need for chemicals (coagulants, flocculates, disinfectants, pH adjustment).
- Ideal for drinking and beverage water sterile filtration where the natural occurring minerals are retained.
- Provides more stable and less corrosive water in drinking water applications.
- Size-exclusion filtration as opposed to media depth filtration;
- Good and constant quality of the treated water in terms of particle and microbial removal;
- Process and plant compactness; and simple automation.
- Low fouling membrane modules
- Excellent filtration performance with high flux
- High chemical resistance and temperature tolerance for effective membrane cleaning
- Very fine nominal pore diameter (0.03 µm)
- High removal efficiency of bacteria and viruses
- Dead-end or concentrate bleed flow capabilities
- Can be periodically back washed and air scoured to improve performance and extend operating life by removing the fouling layer
- Simple, vertical, modular design allows low cost, compact systems
- UF Outside-In or Inside-Out Configuration allows for less plugging and higher solids loading, higher flow area and easier cleaning.
Typical applications are:
- Sterile filtration of drinking and beverage water
- Treatment of surface water
- Recovery of filter backflushing water
- Separation of oil/water emulsions
- Recovery of electrodeposition paint
- Removal of metal hydroxides in wastewater treatment
- Separation of biomass in biotechnology
- Wastewater treatment and re-use
- Membrane bioreactors
Danone 3000 m3/day World class filtration of Karst water
Brochure Aquamem R- Safe Water_GB(7)
Ultrafiltration module UF80G-S2 Specifications